Have you been injured in a collision involving a Lyft rideshare vehicle in Lexington, Kentucky? You may be entitled to compensation for your injuries, including your medical care expenses, lost earnings, and pain and suffering.
Minner Vines Injury Lawyers, PLLC, will fight for the rights of injured accident victims and their families with decades of attorney experience. When you hire our Lexington Lyft accidents lawyers, you are hiring a team that has the knowledge, resources, and skills to handle even the most complex rideshare litigation claims for you. If we cannot reach a fair settlement promptly, we will not hesitate to take your case to trial.
Table of Contents
How a Lexington Lyft Accident Lawyer Can Help After an Injury Accident
When you are injured in an accident as a passenger in a Lyft vehicle in Lexington, KY, you may be entitled to compensation. Damages may be available from the insurance policies of the Lyft driver, other at-fault motorists, or another third party. Without a lawyer, recovering fair compensation may be extremely challenging.
At Minner Vines Injury Lawyers, PLLC, we handle all types of injury or wrongful death claims involving Lyft drivers and vehicles. Our attorneys have recovered over two billion dollars for injured clients, including numerous multi-million dollar awards. You can expect the same dedication to your case.
When you hire our attorneys, we will:
- listen to your side of the story and how your injuries have affected your life
- thoroughly investigate the circumstances surrounding your Lyft accident
- Gather evidence that strengthens your case
- Consult with respected experts in and around Lexington
- Handle all negotiations and communications with the insurance companies and defense lawyers
- Take your case to trial if the insurance company will not offer a fair settlement
Dealing with insurance companies can be exhausting, especially when you’re injured. Having a skilled personal injury attorney in Lexington can ensure you get the fair compensation you deserve.
- Injuries to Lyft passengers
- Injuries to Lyft drivers
- Injuries to drivers and passengers of other vehicles involved in a collision with a Lyft vehicle
- Injuries to pedestrians or bicyclists struck by Lyft vehicles
- Wrongful death claims involving Lyft drivers and vehicles.
How Do Ride-Hailing Apps Like Lyft Increase Congestion and Accident Rates?
Lyft and its main competitor Uber have conceded they play a role in traffic congestion. The introduction of rideshare services to a city has historically been linked with a decrease in use of public transit. In 2018, Schaller Consulting found that private rideshare vehicles accounted for a 180% increase in traffic on city streets.
Lyft markets itself as an option for people to avoid vehicle ownership, and many people who use rideshare apps do not own vehicles. These passengers would otherwise have taken public transit, walked, or biked if the rideshare service were not available. Lyft is an extremely convenient service and may be much faster and only slightly more expensive than transit trips on trains or buses.
A study conducted by professors at the University of Chicago and Rice University reveals an uptick in fatal car collisions after ride-sharing apps like Uber and Lyft became available in a city. In the last several years, deaths caused by drunk drivers have been some of the lowest on record, but pedestrian, bicyclist, and large-truck occupant fatalities have increased.
What Are Common Types of Lyft Accidents in Lexington?
Accidents often have more than one contributing factor. For example, a driver may be distracted by a phone while also traveling too fast for conditions. Rideshare drivers are subject to the same hazards and risks as drivers of passenger vehicles – with some exceptions.
Inattention and distraction is a frequent contributing factor to collisions involving rideshare drivers. Drivers may be distracted by their phones – such as notifications and alerts on the Lyft app, their navigation, or other alerts coming through their smartphones. Drivers may also be distracted by passengers engaging in conversation or giving directions that contradict what is in the app. It is the responsibility of the driver to eliminate distractions and keep passengers safe.
Some of the common types of accidents involving Lyft vehicles in Kentucky include:
- T-bone (side-impact) accidents
- Rear-end collisions
- Side-swipe collisions
- Head-on collisions
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents.
It’s important to note that Lyft drivers are not professional drivers and have not been extensively trained. Lyft does have a short “community safety education” course which covers interactions with passengers and diffusing tense situations. In Kentucky, regulations require that all drivers take the National Safety Council (NSC) defensive driving course.
What Kind of Coverage Does Lyft Offer For Injury Accidents?
If a Lyft driver is negligent, they may be liable for injuries to their passengers, other vehicles’ occupants. Although Lyft is notified of the accident, compensation will be paid from the Lyft driver’s insurance policy. If the driver did not have sufficient insurance, Lyft’s insurance may kick in. However, this depends on the driver’s activity with Lyft at the time of the collision.
Lyft publishes its certificates of insurance on its website. Lyft drivers are covered by a $1 million insurance policy while the Lyft app is on and while en route to pick up passengers and during rides. However, getting an insurance payout from Lyft will require documentation and a strong case.
When the app is on, and drivers are waiting for ride requests, Lyft offers reduced third party liability coverage ($50,000/person for bodily injury / $100,000/accident for bodily injury, and $25,000/accident for property damage). When the Lyft app is off, drivers’ personal insurance coverage applies.
Who is Liable for a Lyft Accident in Lexington?
Rideshare services have changed how people travel, whether it’s going to work, school, the airport, or an evening or weekend outing. However, most Lyft drivers are not professional drivers. Lyft vehicles do not have to be routinely inspected, and the Lyft rideshare platform creates a potentially serious driver distraction because it requires driver interaction. When a serious injury or fatal accident occurs, many questions can arise as to what caused the incident and who is liable.
In Kentucky, you have the right to seek compensation from any party whose negligent actions contributed to your injuries in a Lyft accident, including:
- Lyft drivers
- Drivers of other vehicles
- Employers of drivers of other vehicles
- Negligent pedestrians or bicyclists
- Transit companies
- Vehicle manufacturers
- Government agencies.
When you hire Minner Vines Injury Lawyers, PLLC to handle your Lexington Lyft accident claim, we will immediately investigate your accident and determine who is liable for your injuries. We will work with leading experts to build a strong case, and demonstrate the full impact of your injuries on your life and loved ones, so that we can recover the maximum compensation available.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation For All of Your Lyft Accident Injuries
Lyft launched in Central Kentucky in April 2014. Since then, ride sharing accidents have become a common occurrence in Lexington. Although rideshare services have reduced the number of drunk drivers on roads, they have not reduced accidents.
We pursue compensation for our clients who have experienced injuries in a Lyft accident, such as:
- Broken bone injuries
- Burn injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Sprains and strains
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries.
Most Lyft passengers ride in the backseat of a vehicle. Lyft requires vehicles to have functional seat belts and encourages Lyft drivers to “Make sure everyone wears a seatbelt.” Kentucky has a primary seat belt law that requires everyone wearing a seat belt to have it properly fastened.
If you’ve been injured in a Lyft accident, don’t hesitate to call our Lexington personal injury lawyers for a free case evaluation.
Get a Free Consultation With a Lyft Accident Lawyer in Lexington
Lyft frequently changes how it handles insurance claims, and Minner Vines Injury Lawyers, PLLC closely monitors regulations and case outcomes. If you’ve been injured in Kentucky, we are here to provide advice and resources. From decades of representing accident victims, our attorneys know that behind every client is a real person with a real problem. We will fight to get you the maximum compensation you deserve.
Before you accept any compensation offer from your Lyft driver’s insurance company or Lyft, contact Minner Vines Injury Lawyers, PLLC for a free consultation. One of our highly-skilled trial lawyers will review your potential case, answer your questions, and explain your legal rights and options. If we represent you, we will not charge any legal fees unless we recover money for you.
Our personal injury law firm in Lexington, KY also provides:
- Amusement Park Accident Lawyer in Lexington, KY
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Lexington, KY
- Birth Injury Attorneys in Lexington, KY
- Brain Injury Attorney in Lexington, KY
- Burn Injury Lawyer in Lexington, KY
- Bus Accident Lawyers in Lexington, KY
- Car Accident Attorney in Lexington, KY
- Child Injury Attorneys in Lexington, Kentucky
- Construction Accident Lawyer in Lexington, KY
- Crosswalk Accident Lawyers in Lexington, KY
- Dog Bite Attorney in Lexington, KY
- E-Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Lexington, KY
- Electric Scooter Lawyer in Lexington, KY
- Electrocution Injury Lawyers in Lexington, KY
- Explosion Accident Attorney in Lexington, KY
- Farming Accident Attorneys in Lexington, KY
- Livestock Accident Lawyer in Lexington, KY
- Medical Malpractice Attorney in Lexington, KY
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Lexington, KY
- Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers in Lexington, KY
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Lexington, KY
- Premises Liability Attorney in Lexington, KY
- Product Liability Attorneys in Lexington, KY
- Sexual Assault Lawyer in Lexington, KY
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in Lexington, KY
- Spinal Cord Injury Attorney in Lexington, KY
- Sports Injury Attorneys in Lexington, KY
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Lexington, KY
- Uber Accident Attorney in Lexington, KY
- Workplace Accident Attorneys in Lexington, KY
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Lexington, KY