Cargo trucks are commonplace on Kentucky’s roadways, and it’s easy to forget about the risks they pose to other drivers. Factors such as driver fatigue, mechanical defects, and improper cargo load may lead to devastating accidents in the blink of an eye.
Compared to typical passenger vehicle collisions, cargo truck accidents often cause catastrophic injuries and even death. Were you or a loved one recently harmed in a cargo truck accident in Kentucky? You may have legal recourse and the lawyers of Minner Vines Moncus Injury Lawyers can help.
In the state of Kentucky, victims of cargo truck accidents may be entitled to significant compensation for their injuries. Financial compensation can cover your medical care, lost wages, emotional distress, and more.
If you intend to pursue compensation, it’s critical that you hire an experienced attorney. Our attorneys have litigated complex cargo truck cases for years, and we have a proven track record of success. To learn more, contact us at (859) 550-2900 and schedule a free consultation with our truck accident lawyer in Lexington, KY
Kentucky Truck Accident Statistics – January 2022 Update
While traffic safety has improved, truck accidents in Kentucky still cause injuries every year. A review of recent truck accident statistics reveals:
- Over the course of 2020, over 8,500 trucks were involved in collisions in Kentucky.
- Trucks accounted for 4.86% of vehicles involved in all collisions during the studied period.
- There were 106 fatal truck collisions in 2020. This represents a 8.78 percent of total traffic fatalities for the year.
- Throughout the course of a studied period, the contributing vehicular factors for truck collisions were: defective brakes, defective headlights, other lighting defects, steering failure, tire failure, tow hitch failure, improper cargo load, oversized load, and load securement.
- When evaluating driver contributing factors for truck collisions, the main causes were: alcohol impairment, phone use, disregarding traffic control, distracted driving, failing to yield to right of way, falling asleep at the wheel, following too close, inattention, misjudging clearance, and more.
- The majority of truck collisions in Kentucky occurred on the interstate and on state routes.
How Cargo Truck Accidents are Different from Car Accidents
There are many reasons why claims involving cargo trucks are much more complex than passenger vehicle collisions:
- Multiple Liable Parties: Liability is more straightforward for the typical car accident. One driver is usually responsible for the accident, or there might be shared fault. But accidents involving cargo trucks may involve multiple liable parties. There might be negligence on behalf of the driver, the trucking company, the manufacturer, or third-party maintenance crews.
- Catastrophic Injuries: Because of their immense size, a fully loaded cargo truck can cause catastrophic injuries during a crash. Rather than sustaining minor lacerations or whiplash, cargo truck accident victims might be left with life-altering injuries or paralysis. These devastating accidents are also more likely to result in death.
- Complex Investigations: Since there may be multiple liable parties, you will need to conduct a thorough investigation to identify who is responsible for your injuries. This will affect the amount of compensation you can ultimately recover.
- Federal Laws and Regulations: In addition to liability issues, cargo truck accidents may involve complex laws and regulations. For example, there are regulations that limit how long truckers can drive without taking a break. Unfortunately, trucking companies that prioritize profits over safety may encourage truckers to ignore these rules. An experienced attorney can navigate this complex web of state and federal regulations.
- Exposure to Hazardous Materials: If you were involved in a crash with a cargo truck, you may have been exposed to hazardous materials or chemicals. Exposure to dangerous substances can lead to long-term illnesses and conditions. You may need to be evaluated by a medical expert to determine the full extent of your injuries, especially since symptoms may appear gradually.
- Range of Compensation: The compensation recovered by victims of cargo truck accidents is usually significant. This is because the injuries are more severe, and victims may no longer be able to earn an income. The cost of medical care, rehabilitation, lost wages, and more will all be considered when determining how much compensation you’re entitled to.
As you can see, it’s critical to hire an attorney to handle your cargo truck accident claim. With the right attorney, you can go after all responsible parties and maximize your compensation.
To meet with a Lexington attorney about your potential claim, contact us today at (859) 550-2900.
Compensation for Victims of Cargo Truck Accidents
If you were injured in a cargo truck accident in the state of Kentucky, you can file a personal injury lawsuit to seek compensation. Compensation is designed to pay you back for any harm you’ve endured, including economic and non-economic harm.
For instance, did your accident necessitate a hospital stay? Did you need surgery for your injuries, or will you require ongoing medical care? If you paid out-of-pocket for any of this, it would be considered economic harm. Compensation may also cover the cost of rehabilitation, physical therapy, home nursing, wheelchairs, and more.
State laws also entitle you to compensation for non-economic harm, such as pain and suffering, emotional distress, and other psychological anguish. If your loved one died in the accident and you’re filing a lawsuit on their behalf, you may also be compensated for loss of companionship.
What to Do if You Were in a Kentucky Cargo Truck Accident
It’s important to seek immediate medical treatment after an accident. Even if you don’t have obvious physical injuries, you may have internal injuries with more subtle symptoms. If the police did not respond to the scene of the accident, you should call to make an official report.
After getting medical treatment, it’s a good idea to obtain a copy of your medical records. These will be used to prove your injuries and long-term harm. You should then speak to an attorney as soon as possible. An attorney can protect your legal rights if you intend on filing a lawsuit and pursuing compensation.
It’s important to know that there are deadlines for filing personal injury lawsuits with the court. Deadlines are determined by a state law called the “statute of limitations.”
The deadline depends on the exact type of lawsuit you plan on filing. In the state of Kentucky, you must file a lawsuit:
- Within one year from the date of injury for personal injury cases.
- Within two years from the date of the injury causing death for wrongful death cases.
Once the deadline has passed, the court will not allow you to file a lawsuit. This is why it’s essential to call an attorney as soon as possible. To learn more, speak with our Lexington cargo truck accident lawyers by calling (859) 550-2900. We can evaluate your case at a free consultation.
Why Choose Our Lexington Cargo Truck Accident Attorneys
For decades, our personal injury law firm has upheld the rights of those injured due to negligence. Our number-one priority is securing compensation for our clients and restoring their peace of mind.
Our nationally-acclaimed law firm offers:
- Free Consultations: Before filing a lawsuit, you likely have many questions about the legal process. At Minner Vines Moncus Injury Lawyers, our experienced attorneys will meet with you for a free, no-obligation consultation to address any questions you may have. We’ll evaluate whether you have a valid case, and can explore your potential compensation options.
- No Upfront Costs: In the wake of a serious accident, paying for your medical care is probably your main priority. But many accident victims are forced to take time off work, either temporarily or permanently. We understand the financial challenges you might be facing, which is why we accept cases on a contingency basis. This means you won’t owe us anything unless we recover compensation on your behalf.
- A Caring Legal Team: From our seasoned support staff to our experienced attorneys, our entire team focuses on personalized service. You can always count on us to listen to your concerns, address your questions, and keep you updated about case developments. We pride ourselves on building strong client relationships built on trust, integrity, and understanding.
- Vast Resources to Litigate Your Case: We believe that every accident victim deserves the best shot possible at recovering compensation. With our vast network of resources, we can confidently take on deep-pocketed insurance companies and corporations. You can expect access to the top experts, accident reconstruction services, and more.
Speak with a Lexington Cargo Truck Lawyer Now
In the wake of a serious injury accident with a cargo truck, you might be unsure of where to turn. Meanwhile, you might have a family to support but you’re unable to work due to your injuries. If you were harmed in an accident, we can help you get the financial support you need.
For years, our attorneys have secured settlements and verdicts on behalf of those injured in cargo truck accidents. Our proven track record includes millions of dollars recovered for people just like you.
When you’re ready to speak with an attorney, give us a call. Contact (859) 550-2900 to schedule a free consultation with a Lexington truck accident lawyer. Our team is ready to evaluate your case and uphold your legal rights.