According to KRS §189.635, you must notify law enforcement of traffic accidents that result in a traffic fatality, personal injury, or damage to a vehicle that makes the vehicle inoperable. A law enforcement officer will investigate the accident and complete a written accident report.

If you are involved in an accident that causes $500 or more in property damage that a police officer does not investigate, you must file a report with the Kentucky State Police.

How Can I Get a Copy of My Accident Report?

If the Lexington Police Department responded to your accident, you can request a copy of the accident report from the police department. The report is available five days after it is filed. Only individuals involved in the collision or their legal counsel may obtain copies of the crash report.

There are several ways you can get a copy of a car accident report in Lexington.

You can request a copy of the crash report by sending a request to the Lexington Police Department, Central Records, 150 East Main Street, Lexington, KY 40507. You must include a self-addressed, stamped envelope and the $5 fee for the report.

Make sure that you include the following information with your request:

  • Case number
  • Accident location
  • Date of collision
  • Names of driver/vehicle owner
  • Copy of photo identification

You may also request a copy of the collision report by visiting the police headquarters. Police headquarters has been closed to the public because of COVID-19. Therefore, you should check to determine if it has reopened before appearing in person to request a copy of your accident report.

You may also obtain a copy of the crash report online for a $10 fee. The reports are available through BuyCrash. You need the case number, report date, and last name of the owner/driver of the vehicle. Use the “Lexington Police Department” as the agency name to access the accident report.

Requesting a Copy of a Traffic Accident Report from the State Police

A State Police Officer might have responded to your accident to investigate the collision. If that is the case, you would need to request a copy of the accident report from the State Police Department.

You may contact the state police post that investigated the accident to obtain a copy of the report. You may also access the report online from BuyCrash.

Why Do I Need a Copy of the Accident Report for My Car Crash?

Having a copy of the accident report can be helpful as you file your insurance or personal injury claim. The report contains information about insurance coverage.

It also contains:

  • The date and time of the crash
  • The drivers’ names and contact information
  • Whether one or both drivers received a traffic citation
  • The weather conditions and road conditions at the time of the crash
  • Names and contact information for potential witnesses

The accident report may also contain a diagram of the accident scene drawn by the police officer. The police officer may also have documented skid marks or other evidence showing who was responsible for the crash.

In some cases, the officer may conclude which driver contributed to the cause of the collision. The police officer’s conclusion is not a final determination of who caused the car wreck. However, it can give your personal injury lawyer valuable information as they investigate the accident and gather evidence proving fault and liability.

Who is Liable for Damages Caused by a Car Accident?

The driver responsible for causing the collision is generally liable for any damages resulting from the car crash. Damages may include financial losses and non-economic damages.

Examples of damages in a car accident claim include:

  • Past, present, and future costs of medical care and treatment
  • Past, present, and future losses of income and benefits, including decreases in earning potential
  • The cost of personal care and in-home health care
  • Disfigurement, impairments, disabilities, and scarring
  • Mental, physical, and emotional pain and suffering
  • Decreased quality of life and loss of enjoyment of life
  • Travel expenses to and from medical appointments

The value of a car accident claim depends on the facts of the case. However, the first step is proving that the other driver caused the crash. You cannot recover compensation for your injuries and damages without showing the other driver was at fault.

If you are partially at fault for the cause of an accident, it is wise to speak with an attorney. Kentucky operates under the pure comparative fault standard. That means you can still recover compensation for your damages, even if you were 99 percent at fault for the crash.

However, your percentage of fault reduces the amount of your compensation. Therefore, it is helpful to have legal counsel who can help you fight to prove you were not responsible for the cause of the crash or your percentage of fault was minor.

Contact Our Car Accident Law Firm in Kentucky Today To Get More Information

If you’ve been injured in an accident in Lexington or Bowling Green, please contact our car accident lawyers at Minner Vines Injury Lawyers, PLLC for a free case evaluation.

Minner Vines Injury Lawyers, PLLC – Lexington, KY Office
325 W Main St #210, Lexington, KY 40507
(859) 550-2900

Minner Vines Injury Lawyers, PLLC -Bowling Green, KY Office
814 State St. suite 100, Bowling Green, KY, 42101
(270) 517-2014